Wednesday, November 17

hit me in the face

You know how God has a way of letting someone or something say the truth your heart needs to hear on that day you seem to be struggling with it most? Like when you go to church on Wednesday night and the sermon is so accurate to your life that you are convinced your pastor is a peeping Tom. Or when you have a happenstance conversation with a friend in passing who shares her burdens that oh, how ironic, I'm struggling with today too.


I hate those convictions, but crave that truth God so willingly shares with me. Lately He's been doing that a lot.


My pastor, a few Sundays ago, explained that this happens in our life when truth is preached or spoken. Naturally those things convict our heart because God's truth is consistent, applicable and just speaks to our hearts in almost any situation since the truth is relative to each of us in a specific way. Lately I am having a hard time seeing those closest to me through the lens the Lord sees them, and me. I am quick to carry judgments and standards in my heart in order to protect myself and those around me. This is particularly a struggle when the judgments I carry are poor of my closest friends. And I can be totally aware of it, but not know how to handle it. Well God knew today I needed a slap in the face with the truth Romans 2 provides. Thanks for this:


1 You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge another, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things. 2 Now we know that God’s judgment against those who do such things is based on truth. 3 So when you, a mere human being, pass judgment on them and yet do the same things, do you think you will escape God’s judgment? 4 Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, forbearance and patience, not realizing that God’s kindness is intended to lead you to repentance?
Romans 2:1-4


Tonight I had coffee with my friend and her dad who came to visit for a few days from out of town. In the conversations I've had with her dad, I've always appreciated his insight and wisdom that he offers, as well as the ability he carries to see through the real issue to the heart of my problems. Tonight he shared the devotion he read this morning which he himself had been struggling with. It used this passage and reminded me, ever so gently like a ton of bricks the wrongfulness of my sin. Peeping Tom at his finest... God always uses these instances to humble and bring me to the throne only to be shown that the grace I am withholding, He is lavishly pouring out on me even in my ignorance and sin. Our God, truly, is an awesome God.

No comments:

Post a Comment