Monday, January 25

The life of a non-college going student....

I have been home for approximately 46 days. This means that "college life" has been pretty much non-existent with the exception of a trip to Clinton and a couple visits to Tuscaloosa. What's life like for a college student who doesn't have class for six weeks? Wonderful.


I got to thinking about how ironic it is that as a senior in high school you make a choice that will affect the next four years of your life, or the rest of your life depending on how you look at it. When I was deciding where to go to school I just KNEW I wanted some place fresh, some place to make new friends and be "on my own". While this sounded appealing, not because I didn't like home, but because home had been the same for 18 years, I wasn't really aware of how much I would end up missing home.


I realized this over the break of six weeks. I have been home, I have had meals with my family, I have painted a new room (and slept late in it each morning), I have had time to relax and watch tv shows that aren't important but that I can't get enough of (the bachelor.... and american idol...). I have had so much good time with Ethan, with my friends, with my family. Just time to rest, to catch up, and to get ready for the semester to come. Precious time with the Lord to be honest, to worship, and to grow. Time to realize that I may have a few things about myself that I hadn't seen until recently (thanks to a patient, encouraging boyfriend of mine).


My favorite part of being home for so long though, is that my understanding of home has changed. The things I thought I had had enough of, I miss more than anything. I miss my mom when I am in Jackson. I miss my dog, the comfort of knowing that my dad will pick on me and I will pretend to be annoyed, the security of knowing that my church will feel like home, and my friends will be there on Sunday. The good feeling I get each day I spend with someone I love. And while I love Jackson, and I know I am supposed to be at Union, I have just been able to grow up enough to appreciate the familiar. And that's something I'm not ready to leave just yet. One more week!

No comments:

Post a Comment