Tuesday, July 27

dude, where's my summer?

Last week I had the privilege of joining Shades on their high school youth camp. This "CAMP" is not the usual relaxing getaway with a few kids, no its more like... let's see how many teenagers we can fit into an "old barn pavillion" and see how far they are willing to hike to their cabins in the woods after jumping off big swings, doing the zip line, playing hardcore paintball, and getting hardly any sleep for planning skit night. Camp is AWESOME. God shows us each and every summer in a new way and consistently challenges these students (283 this year) through the reading of His Word and the valuable teaching and worship they receive each morning and night.

I had the opportunity to go as "Scott's assistant". Our youth minister Scott is awesome, and since I was technically staff this camp, I got quite a different experience. I spent my days going non-stop, putting that little pink energizer bunny to shame. In the mornings I was up early getting a head count of the groups for rec times, then talking with the camp staff to plan accordingly. I made the 30 minute drive to Walmart at least once a day, spent the day running around distributing children to their various rec locations, and at night made the nightly pizza run to pick up the 80 pizzas and load them into the cargo van to feed the hungry children. It. Was. Insane. I have never been so busy in my life! But I loved every second of it. Although I was completely exhausted by Friday, I wouldn't have changed my job for anything. It's been a while since I've had the opportunity to just serve full out in such a huge way, and God completely blessed me by opening my eyes to a new side of ministry that most people never see. I kept thinking how grateful I was for these people who do this everyday of the year... wow!
this little cutie came to surprise me at camp, and it was the best day of the week!
one of the campers had a suitcase mishap, so we spent the afternoon at the laundromat doing his entire suitcase of laundry. I was thankful to have a FRIEND with me... get the reference?? :)
this would be a normal visit to Walmart... 15 cases of Gaterade, 12 cases of water, 50 pizzas, 200 tacos... you know, gotta keep the munchkins fed!
skit night is always fun, but there were extra surprises this year. such as Paula Heath's guest appearance..... aka Ryan Wilson.. And the 9th grade boys raving on the stage and collapsing the entire stage! It was quite a night.
the best part of the entire camp experience, the beautiful sunset and the mountains. I am a sucker for sunsets, but the views up in the mountains make it impossible not to understand God's beauty and his breathtaking creation.. Our God is so cool!

This week I am housesitting for some family friends and running her store, Bags & Then Some next to Hobby Lobby in Riverchase.. come by any day between 11-3 and maybe I'll give you a discount ;) It's been a fun week already just feeling like a grown up. I stay at the house with the sweet dog Annie, we water the plants in the morning and turn over the tomatoes in the sun. I lock up at night, give Annie her medicine, open and run the store.. I'm an adult! Ok not totally, but that's what it feels like this week and it's pretty fun in all honesty.

The summer has flown by. Considering half of it was spent in winter, I guess that makes sense.. but it's hard to believe in just a few weeks I'll be packing up to head back to Jackson. I am so eager to see all that God has in store for my life, for my position as pledge mom, for my friends... God has been doing a lot in everyone's lives this summer, I've seen that already and I know when we get back it's going to be an incredible semester! Life is good :)

1 comment:

  1. I TOTALLY got the Friends reference. LOVE!

    ReplyDelete