Saturday, June 19

free falling

If you are wondering if I went SKY DIVING today.. the answer is YES!

If you are wondering how it was, well let me just tell you:

I went with five of my fellow housemates: Ethan, Brock, Stuart, Carley and Hannah. We drove about an hour away past the city until we finally made it to this simple gravel road, nothing special, with a few ‘phone a friend’s along the way for directions. We arrive to our destination: Wings Over Africa skydiving. Let me just paint you a little picture… This open barn-like area has about eight guys standing around who could all pass for surfers or hippies, a few throwing a ball, a few laying out parachutes, and a few working on one of the three “planes” if you will.

We walk in, sign our lives away, and within five minutes have a harness on. There was no pre-game video, or pep talk, there were just a few guys with instructions of how to tuck your legs back, lean your head on my shoulder, keep your eyes open and smile. Next thing we know, the pairs we split into are now trios because the “big plane” is magically fixed. So Carley, Stuart and Brock are the first to fly. They head to the “big plane” and take off. The flight up lasts around 15-20 minutes until you are successfully 9,000 feet in the air.

Fast forward…. We’ve now watched all three fall and land successfully so its our turn to go (Hannah, Ethan, me). We pile into the plane with our three flight attendants and head up. My guy, Timmy was the BOMB. He has jumped over 12,000 times. Twelve. Thousand. So that was a little bit reassuring. He walked me through the steps and pointed out all the landmarks on our ride up as I cozied up on his lap and prepared to fly out of a plane.

I went last, so after watching Hannah… then Ethan fall off the edge of the plane, we shimmy over to the edge, throw our legs over, tuck them under the plane and… FREE FALL. The free fall they say lasts 40 seconds, but it felt like ten. IT WAS AMAZING. I have never been so giddy in my life, I just giggled and smiled and okay maybe screamed a bit. It wasn’t scary was the weird part. I thought I would be so nervous, but instead I enjoyed every second.

Eventually the parachute kicks in and we start to cruise. Timmy took my glasses off and adjusted my straps so we could sit more comfortably in the middle of the air. He let me fly the parachute, spin us in a few circles, then eventually just enjoy the most beautiful view of Cape Town. We nailed the landing (on his feet while I tucked mine) and I haven’t stopped smiling since.

My dad jokingly asked how this adventure contributed to the ministry of Living Hope to which I assured him my being so close to God helped me have a new appreciation of His creation…. But seriously it is so true. As I sat in the plane flying up, I couldn’t help but think how cool God is, and plus how awesome His view from Heaven must be. It was the greatest thing I’ve ever done and I can’t wait to go again!


me and Timmy before lift off

this face lasted all day, don't worry

greatest moment of my life after salvation :)

No comments:

Post a Comment