Thursday, June 24

long time, no Internet


I do apologize for not updating this whole week, our internet went out Sunday night and we just got it back today! This might be a lengthy update, bear with me!

What an interesting week it has been. Sunday I went back to Capricorn church which yet again was SUCH a blessing. I am constantly amazed at the process of church in Capricorn. It is the epitome of "Spirit-led" and the congregation is so prayerful and eager to worship. In both services I've been able to attend, we've prayed at LEAST ten times. You know how at Shades we're always sitting...standing...sitting...standing? Well in Capricorn we're ALWAYS praying. And I love it! We pray out loud often, so you can hear Afrikaans prayers, English prayers, all going to the same wonderful God. It's so encouraging! 

After lunch me and Ethan went with Melanie and Meagan to the Muizenberg market where we got calamari and chips at a vendor for 35 Rand(which is FIVE dollars... I love how inexpensive food is here!) we ate on the beach, shopped around the market, then we LOST MEAGAN! This is not a joke. On the drive back towards our house Meagan hopped out of the car to get Melanie a water in a little store. The traffic was bad so we drove down a bit and turned around, but when we came back by Meagan was no where in site. We spent the next 30+ minutes driving up and down Main Street with Melanie YELLING "MEAGAN!! MEAGAN!!" out the window like a lost puppy. Meagan eventually called her own phone (left in the car) from a pay phone and had walked nearly two miles down the road into a whole other town! But the best part was when Meagan called a third time, just because she had money left to call with :) we found her sitting outside, drinking Melanie's water since she was thirsty from her long-distance hike.
Thought this better captured Melanie than a regular picture. And photo credit to Ethan who was taking pictures rather than being in them :)

Monday was the beginning of my first full week of Holiday clubs. Michele splits her time between Ocean View and Red Hill so this week we were lending a hand in Red Hill. I have been able to go and just love these children, which is sometimes challenging but often so rewarding.
The little boy on the right reminds me so much of Ronald Nored, and HIS NAME IS RONALD.

Last week I met this one man named Elomon (we think) who is from Zambia. He’s married and has a son, but spends his time travelling around Africa using soccer as a ministry to tell children about God. I was so blessed by something he said, as he held a little girl in his arms, he reminded me how these children need so much love because that’s something no person should ever live without. It was such a simple truth, but something that has encouraged me each day when I get tired of telling these little boys and girls not to talk during the Bible story, or to sit still when Mzo talks to them. I have struggled to find the balance of babysitter, disciplinary, and just someone to love the little girl who looks at me with her huge eyes and just wants me to hold her.

Tuesday I went back to Red Hill in the morning, and it was rough. The sun was out so more kids came to club, but with the sunshine came the temptation to be outside running around. When you have sixty kids in a tiny room/”Church” it becomes incredibly difficult to stay patient, but God definitely challenged me through my time there. Tuesday afternoon was community project so I rode around with Alicia gathering wood and poles and nails to make a fence behind the crèche/daycare in Overcome. We spent nearly three hours gathering, and ten minutes unloading before it was 4:30 and time to go home. So needless to say, no fence was built.

I woke up this morning at 3 am sick as a dog, and spent the next five hours sick at my stomach. I took the day off to rest and God has already been healing me, no more sickness since this morning! Ethan has acquired a lovely bacterial infection in his throat, but we went to the doctor today and the medicine he got should have him back to normal in 48 hours. Be praying for health, living in a small house makes it easier to spread germs and its hard being sick when there are 75+ children needing you each day!

It’s weird to think this is my last full week here. I don’t think I’m ready for my time to be up, one month seems shorter and shorter the longer I’m here!

Something cool God’s been teaching me:
I’ve been reading the story of the Israelites fighting Amalek in Exodus 17.  My Bible study has been on The Lord My Banner, and discussing the ways Amalek represents the flesh. Amalek was said to be constantly and forever at war against God, Amalek was the first to attack the Israelites after they had seen God’s faithfulness, and the Amalekites were always winning the battle whenever Moses let his arms down. Think of all the ways our flesh is similar: Always in opposition to what God wants, always the first attack on us, and always prevailing when we leave the cover of God’s provision. I just love how God can use any story to point out truth in my life! The Lord My Banner, what a wonderful God we serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment