Tuesday, June 8

rain rain, yet again today...

Lauren Reeves quote that summarizes this trip: Being in a place like Africa is really wonderfully overwhelming, and our brains dont always have room for that moment right then. 


Today was another morning with Michelle which I am enjoying more and more. The office work wasn't what I expected, but I really enjoy the time to just have peace and quiet (with the exception of constant dogs barking outside). After lunch we went to Red Hill for our community project. This is another thing that surprised me about this trip, I didn't know how much physical labor we would be doing, but today we painted the inside of a container (like a trailer) for the kids club at Red Hill. I was right back on New Wind using oil based paint and getting high from the paint thinner... I didn't mind really ;)


After breathing in all the fumes I could handle, I found my way outside where Simone was waiting to climb aboard. The kids here are so easily approachable and have no concept of Stranger Danger like in the States. Simone latched on my back and wouldn't let go for a good thirty minutes. We ran away from the dogs, and talked about school. The children here are so beautiful, and so desperate for love. It's hard not to love them though, so it works out for both of us.


And to cap off the night, we all piled into Bettie.. literally piled, and drove to McDonald's for a little dessert before playing cards. Living in the house with fifteen international new friends is one of my favorite parts of the trip. Tomorrow Justine and I get a new roommate, Megan! 
We have 24 more days left (I was just informed by Callie, Ethan's little sister). I'm trying not to let that become a distraction and be sad about leaving, but rather just think about the three awesome weeks we still have left to grow and see more of Africa. God can do a LOT in just three weeks, of this I am sure! But I will definitely be missing plenty of this wonderful country when it comes time to head back. Guess I'll just have to come back, eh? As Louise would say... Cheers.



No comments:

Post a Comment